Farmers Market Manager
Community Foodworks is a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation dedicated to creating market opportunities for local farmers and food producers in the mid-Atlantic region while increasing access to good, healthy, local food. Community Foodworks operates the Columbia Heights and Historic Brookland Farmers Markets in Washington, DC and manages a portfolio of food access and education programs that serve thousands of low-income community members.
The Columbia Heights Farmers Market takes place every Saturday morning from mid-April through December and Wednesday evening from mid-May through September on the Civic Plaza at 14th and Park Road NW. It is one of the largest farmers markets in the city, and a number of programs designed to increase access to healthy, local food take place each week at the market. Community Foodworks seeks a part-time market manager to oversee all aspects of market and program operations.
The market manager will work under the Executive Director to oversee and implement all administrative functions necessary for a successful market and will regularly interact with diverse constituencies, including farmers, food vendors, artists, musicians, community partners, and customers.
- Management of day-to-day market operations
- Saturdays: Set up starting at approximately 7:30 a.m. through take down at 1 p.m.,
- Wednesdays: Set up starting at approximately 3:00 p.m. through take down at 7:30 p.m.
- Lifting up to 30-40 lbs may be required
- Management of the market’s food access programs
- Knowledge of core program processes and guidelines
- Issue resolution
- Data tracking and reporting
- Oversight of market volunteers and the market’s volunteer coordinator
- Coordination of weekly music and entertainment programming
- Development (drafting and sending) of the market’s weekly newsletter
- All aspects of vendor management:
- Maintaining positive relationships with all vendors
- Ensuring timely submission of vendor fee
- Recruiting new vendors as necessary
- Resolving miscellaneous vendor related issues
- Representation of Community Foodworks to relevant stakeholders (non-profits, community organizations, government agencies)
Position requirements include the following:
- Spanish fluency preferred; Spanish proficiency required
- Previous farmers market management experience preferred but not required
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills skills
- Clear and organized work habits, positive attitude, flexibility,
- Strong computer skills, particularly with Mailchimp, Excel, and online management tools,
- Ability to collect and analyze data,
- Demonstrated interest in local food systems and/or community development
- Knowledge of farming and retail is a plus,
- Physically fit and able to lift up to 40 pounds, and
- Ability to work virtually and use personal computer.
This is a part-time position. Market manager hours will range from 15-20 during Saturday market-only portions of the season and 25-30 when both Saturday and Wednesday markets are open. The market manager must be available Wednesdays and Saturdays throughout the market season, with any absences scheduled in advance in coordination with Executive Director.