Farmer Recruitment and Procurement Coordinator
GrowNYC seeks a highly motivated and detail-oriented professional to recruit farmers and manage procurement for two wholesale programs, the Wholesale Greenmarket, an open-air night-time market located in the Hunts Point neighborhood of the Bronx dedicated to farmer-direct sales in wholesale quantities, and Greenmarket Co., a distribution program which aggregates locally-produced farm products and delivers them to wholesale buyers throughout NYC. Greenmarket Co. is a local food distribution service with a two pronged mission: to create a new, profitable wholesale marketplace for regional farm and food businesses, and to create transparent, efficient supply chains that increase all New Yorkers’ access to locally produced food.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct farmer outreach and recruit new producers to develop the Wholesale Greenmarket and Greenmarket Co. farmer network and product line;
- Communicate regularly with farmers regarding availability and product quality; travel to farms in the Northeast region for in-person visits as needed;
- Coordinate farm-to-warehouse logistics through producers, partner businesses, and/or third party logistics providers;
- Work closely with Greenmarket Co. warehouse staff to manage product inventory and ensure product quality;
- Manage purchase orders, invoices, and Greenmarket Co. accounts payable;
- Communicate information regarding product availability, deliveries to warehouse, or in-City pickups to other Greenmarket Co. staff in a timely and accurate manner;
- Continuously seek new and innovative approaches to product procurement and logistics that improve efficiencies and lower costs of business for both Greenmarket Co. and local food producers.
The Farmer Recruitment and Procurement Coordinator position is an opportunity to work in a start-up, mission-driven food distribution program in its first year of operations. As such, the position requires a committed, enthusiastic, and flexible individual able to manage many disparate tasks in a fast-paced work environment. The Farmer Recruitment and Procurement Coordinator must be a self-starter able to work independently, and must also function as a crucial part of a team, communicating effectively and working in concert with Greenmarket Co. Sales Coordinator, Greenmarket Co. warehouse staff, and GrowNYC programming staff.
- Familiarity with Northeast agricultural products and farm production;
- Experience with logistics management and familiarity with transportation routes in New York and adjacent states;
- Experience with QuickBooks or comparable inventory management/bookkeeping software;
- Ability to effectively communicate with GrowNYC staff, producers, and other partners;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Abode Creative Suite is not required but a plus;
- Willingness to assist in warehouse as needed, ability to lift 50 lbs;
- Desire to work in a non-profit, mission-based work environment;
- Business development skills a plus.
GrowNYC’s Farmer Recruitment and Procurement Coordinator position is full time and includes benefits. Salary commensurate with experience. Submit cover letter, resume, and three references to Monique Rodriguez at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Farmer Recruitment and Procurement Manager” in the subject line. GrowNYC/Greenmarket is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer and hires without regard to race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation or physical disability. For additional information, please see our website at www.GrowNYC.org.