The Jewish Farm School and Eden Village Camp are seeking a motivated, hardworking, and enthusiastic farmer for the 2013 season to oversee production of our 2-acre educational farm and other growing areas on site at Eden Village Camp.
Ideal candidates will:
- Have at least one full season working on a farm using sustainable agriculture techniques;
- Have experience working with chickens, goats, sheep and bees;
- Be comfortable teaching and demonstrating agricultural practices;
- Be excited about working with a diverse range of growing techniques and settings (ie annual vegetables, perennial orchard, permaculture, animals husbandry, educational gardens);
- Be enthusiastic about working collaboratively with other staff, program participants, and volunteers;
- Be an inspiring leader and creative problem solver.
Your responsibilities include:
- Conducting daily work on the farm;
- Directing farm apprentices, campers, staff, and volunteers in meaningful, educational, engaging, and productive farm projects;
- Overseeing educational gardens on the farm and other gardens on the site (ie, Director’s House Garden and 10 cabin snack gardens)
- Maintaining the our orchard;
- Maintaining all livestock and developing further plans for animal care;
- Maintaining site-wide composting system;
- Maintaining appropriate care of all farm related tools, machinery, facilities and equipment;
- Leading and participating in ongoing farm staff meetings, check-ins, and group practices.