"Experiential learning is a major cornerstone of the EcoGastronomy dual major. Some experiences were:
- participate in outside activities and write about them
- field trips to farms, composting areas, farmers markets, and the like
- hands on learning in a professional kitchen by actually cooking different kinds of dishes and entire meals
- research on a real town in the community and wrote an actual needs assessment and then wrote a grant for an intervention project that we had developed for the town
- farm visits, attend guest lectures, participate in community pot luck dinners, herb walks and group cooking experiences, intern with kindergarten kids at the Early Sprouts program at the CSDC (Child Study and Development Center) on campus, participate in the organic garden club, SlowFood UNH, and the Waysmeet food drive for the cornucopia food basket.
Experiential learning goes beyond the classroom..."
Heather Rusaw, 2012, Nutrition and EcoGastronomy
Organic Garden Club: tour and volunteer
Slow Food UNH meeting or event
Wednesdays, 6 - 7 PM
Attend a Seacoast Slow Food event.
Maine Adult Education, Italian Search Italian to find out where beginning Italian classes are being taught.