Just Food is a non-profit organization that connects communities and local farms with the resources and support they need to make fresh, locally grown food accessible to all New Yorkers. Just Food provides regional farmers and food producers, CSA organizers and everyday eaters with the resources and support they need to establish and experience healthy food systems—in every neighborhood.
Since 1995, Just Food has pioneered sustainable food models, including CSAs, community-run farmers’ markets, and farm-to-food pantry programs. Just Food serves thousands of New Yorkers by forging partnerships between local farms, neighborhood groups, and consumers, and by providing urban communities with a framework for growing, and knowing, healthy food. For more information about Just Food and its programs, visit justfood.org.
Just Food’s Development Associate plays an important role by providing administrative support to the development team in their fundraising and public relations efforts. In addition, the Development Associate is responsible for developing the membership program and expanding the small grants program.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Communications: plan and implement social media strategy (including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.), manage e-communications calendar and monthly newsletter.
- Donor Database: maintain and update donor information in Salesforce database. Assist staff and board with accessing data and reports and trouble-shooting.
- Membership Management: manage calendar and coordinate seasonal fundraising initiatives (print and electronic), develop and manage member benefits, acknowledge all donations and membership contributions, organize annual membership meeting.
- Grants Support: assist with research. Assist in the preparation of grant proposals, letters of intent, grant reports, and correspondence.
- Marketing: coordinate promotional and social media activities of the organization, set priorities for tabling and outreach activities, assist with and oversee creation of marketing and outreach materials.
- Website: assist with website updates and editing.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of fundraising events and educational events.
- Answer donor and member inquiries
- Prepare media and donor materials for distribution
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 1-2 years of experience in a nonprofit fundraising or equivalent position
- Hard-working, articulate, confident with a ‘can-do’ attitude. Must be a self-starter who can respond well to direction and constructive feedback
- Excellent organizational skills and detail-oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, should be able to interact exceptionally well with people, both internally and externally
- Self-motivated, with the ability to organize and prioritize work and meet critical deadlines
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in using donor databases, Microsoft Office programs, web content management tools, etc (Drupal, Salesforce and InDesign experience a plus) and willingness to learn new applications
- Spanish language proficiency a plus
- Flexible schedule including some evenings and weekends is required.
This is a paid position. This position reports to Amy Blankstein, Grants and Communications Manager. Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Development Associate.” Deadline for submitting applications is May 13, 2013.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Just Food is committed to creating a workplace that respects and values diversity of cultural, ethnic and experiential backgrounds.