Bilingual Nutrition Education for Youth Program
The Bilingual Nutrition Educator will assist the Nutrition Educator (Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist) in the promotion and delivery of nutrition education and cooking demonstrations for children ages 6 and under at farmers’ markets. Workshops will be implemented outside farmers’ markets in select high-need neighborhoods throughout NYC. The Bilingual Nutrition Educator will be responsible for ensuring accurate and fluent Spanish translation of nutrition education workshops and cooking demonstrations. This consultancy is seasonal to coincide with the market season (June through November). The selected consultant will be required to attend a 5 day training during late June and commit to working at least 2 days per week (~8am-4pm), including weekends, for the entirety of the farmers’ market season. The consultant will also be expected to attend regular meetings at our Long Island City location.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Translate nutrition education workshops and cooking demonstrations from English to Spanish.
- Assist with the preparation and implementation of youth nutrition education sessions.
- Assist with food preparation for cooking demonstrations, as needed.
- Assist with identifying constructive programmatic modifications.
- Promote youth nutrition education sessions to ensure minimum required level of participation is achieved.
- Participate in trainings and meetings with other program staff.
- Conduct outreach to community-based organizations.
- Assist with data collection activities.
- Spanish and English Fluency Required;
- Experience in translating information from English to Spanish;
- Experience working in community settings with diverse populations;
- Experience working with young children in an experiential education setting;
- Knowledgeable about nutrition and community food security issues in New York City;
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, and the ability to work well as part of a team;
- Ability to be flexible, think creatively and problem solve;
- Willingness to work without sitting for long periods and enjoy working in outdoor settings in a variety of weather conditions.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Please send a resume and cover letter to:
Kasey Holloway, Farmers’ Market Outreach Coordinator, email@example.com.
Alyson Abrami, MS, RD
Manager, Farmers' Market Programs
Food Access and Community Health Programs
Bureau of Chronic Disease Prevention and Tobacco Control
NYC Dept. of Health and Mental Hygiene
42-09 28th Street
9th Floor, CN 46, 9-14
Queens, NY 11101