Apprentices and Interns
Waverly Farms, LC seeks apprentices and interns for the 2016 season. Located near Richmond, VA on 235 acres of sustainable land, we are an integrated farm that grows vegetables without the use of artificial pesticides, herbicides, or other potentially harmful chemicals and raises freely ranging animals using Certified Organic feed. We are currently in our ninth year of operation.
Apprentices and interns have the opportunity to gain experience in both vegetable and livestock production. We currently have three acres under cultivation for vegetable production with 80 members during the peak of our CSA season as well as over 200 animals including cattle, hogs, goats, sheep, chickens, horses, and llamas. Employees work 40-50 hours over a five-day workweek and have the opportunity for promotion to more advanced roles on the farm over time.
We encourage individuals of all backgrounds, both personal and professional, to apply. However, the ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
A strong sense of professionalism, integrity, and reliability
- Ability to multitask and communicate clearly
- Flexibility, friendliness, and receptiveness to constructive criticism and ideas
- Ability to repeatedly lift 50 lbs
- Willingness to work in all weather conditions
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle
- For apprentices: at least one year’s experience with farm work (prior experience is encouraged but not required for interns)
Compensation is competitive and includes housing, farm food, and paid time off. A start date of December 2015 or January 2016 is ideal, although other months will be considered as well. To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.