Dr. Jo Sias Daniel
Phone: (603) 862-3277
Fax: (603) 862-2364
University of New Hampshire
Kingsbury Hall Room W171
33 Academic Way
Durham, NH 03824
Research Group: Materials
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering, North Carolina State University, May 2001
- M.S. Civil Engineering, North Carolina State University, August 1996
- B.S. Civil Engineering, University of New Hampshire, May 1994
Asphalt concrete material characterization
Pavement design and analysis
Climate change impacts on pavements
Honors and Awards
AAPT Board of Directors Award of Recognition, 2011
Nominated for Transportation Research Board K.B. Woods Award, 2010
UNH Outstanding Assistant Professor Award, 2005
ASCE Outstanding Newsletter Award for Small Sections, 2005
Tau Beta Pi Outstanding Civil Engineering Faculty Award, 2003
Runner-up for AAPT Walter J. Emmons Best Paper Award, 2003
Dwight D. Eisenhower Transportation Graduate Fellowship, National Highway Institute, 2000-1
Ward K. Parr Scholarship, Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists (AAPT), 1995
- Bhattacharjee, S., A.K. Swamy, and J.S. Daniel (2012). "Continuous Relaxation and Retardation Spectrum Method for Viscoelastic Characterization of Asphalt Concrete." Mechanics of Time Dependent Materials, in press.
- Meagher, W., J.S. Daniel, J. Jacobs, and E. Linder (2012). "A Methodology to Evaluate the Implications of Climate Change on the Design and Performance of Flexible Pavements." Transportation Research Record, in press.
- Mogawer, W., T. Bennert, J.S. Daniel, R. Bonaquist, A. Austerman, and A. Booshehrian (2012). "Performance Characterisitcs of Plant Produced High RAP Mixtures." International Journal of Road Materials and Pavement Design - AAPT, in press.
- Swamy, A. K., and J.S. Daniel (2012). "Evaluating the Effect of Mode of Loading on Viscoelastic and Damage Properties of Asphalt Concrete." Transportation Research Record, in press.
- Tarbox, S. and J.S. Daniel (2012). "Effects of Long Term Oven Aging on RAP Mixtures." Transportation Research Record, in press.
- W.S. Mogawer, A.J. Austerman, J.S. Daniel, F. Zhou and T. Bennert (2011). “Evaluation of the Effects of Hot Mix Asphalt Density on Mixture Fatigue Performance, Rutting Performance and MEPDG Distress Predictions.” International Journal of Pavement Engineering (IJPE) 12(2): 161-175.
- Foxlow, J., J.S. Daniel, and A.K. Swamy (2011). "RAP or RAS? The Differences in Performance of HMA Containing Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement and Reclaimed Asphalt Shingles." Journal of the Association of Asphalt Pavement Technologists 80: 347-376.
- Medeiros Jr., M., J.S. Daniel, H. Bolton and W. Meagher (2011). "Evaluation of Moisture and Low Temperature Cracking Susceptibility of Warm-Mixture Asphalt." International Journal of Pavement Engineering iFirst 13 June 2011.
- Swamy, A.K., L.F. Mitchell, S.J. Hall, and J.S.Daniel. (2011). "The Impact of RAP on the Volumetric, Stiffness, Strength and Low Temperature Properties of HMA." Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering 23(11): 1490-1497.
- Daniel, J.S., J. Pochily, and D. Boisvert (2010). "Can More Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement Be Added? Study of Extracted Binder Properties from Plant Produced Mixtures with up to 25% Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement." Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 2180: 19-29.
- Bhattacharjee, S., A.K. Swamy, and J.S. Daniel (2009). "Application of the Elastic-Viscoelastic Correspondence Principle to Determine the Fatigue Endurance Limit of Hot-Mix Asphalt." Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 2126: 12-18.
- Daniel, J.S., G.R. Chehab, and D. Ayyala (2009). "Sensitivity of RAP binder grade on performance predictions in the MEPDG." Journal of the Association of Asphalt Pavement Technologists 78: 352-376.
- Bhattacharjee S., R.B. Mallick, and J.S. Daniel (2008). "Small Scale Accelerated Load Testing in the Laboratory for Fatigue Characterization of Hot Mix Asphalt." Pavements
- CiE 525 Statics
- CiE 526 Mechanics of Materials
- CiE 622 Engineering Materials
- CiE 665 Soil Mechanics
- CiE 721 Pavement Design
- CiE 723/823 Bituminous Materials and Mixtures
- CiE 754 Transportation Engineering and Planning
- CiE 796/896 Pavement Maintenance and Rehabilitation
- Transportation Research Board
Chair of Committee AFK50
Member of Committee AFK30
- Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists
- FHWA Mixtures Expert Task Group
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- International Society for Asphalt Pavements
- National Society of Professional Engineers
- New England Transportation Technician Certification Program
- Northeast Asphalt User/Producer Group
2010-11 Research Group
- About Us
- Undergraduate Studies
- Graduate Studies
- Visit Us
- Contact Us