Scholarships & Fellowships
UNH Scholarships and Fellowships
There are many opportunities to help finance your undergraduate foreign experience. In addition to the options below, please check the CIE Facebook page regularly for the most up-to-date postings. There is significant funding available from sources both internal (UNH) and external (money offered by the U.S. government or private foundations).
Center for International Education (CIE) Scholarships
The Center for International Education conducts a bi-annual scholarship competition (spring and fall) and awards $500-$5,000 grants to eligible undergraduates. Please note that students going on a UNH study abroad program or UNH course with study abroad component less than one month in duration are only eligible for a smaller grant.
Approximately six to ten scholarships will be awarded each semester, including the Foley-Jackson award for $5,000 based both on financial need and academic merit. The majority of our grant awards are $1,000.
We encourage all students who meet the criteria to apply. It is never too early!
Fall 2015 Application: for January term '16, spring break '16, or spring semester '16; deadline Friday, October 2, 2015 at noon
B. Thomas Trout Scholarship - This award established in Professor Trout's honor is offered by the College of Liberal Arts (COLA). It offers financial assistance to undergraduate NH residents who are majors within COLA applying to a UNH-managed study abroad program within COLA.
International Research Opportunities Program (IROP) - UNH undergraduate students from all fields of study may apply in the spring of their sophomore year or the fall of their junior year for substantial grants to conduct nine-week summer research projects abroad. Following a junior year of preparation, students conduct their research during the summer preceding their senior year.
Stanley A. Hamel Traveling Fellowship – Stanley A. Hamel has donated money to the New Hampshire Charitable Foundation for the purpose of establishing a Traveling Fellowship, which will be coordinated by the UNH Office of National Fellowships. The fellowship provides approximately $3,800 for travel in Europe to graduating seniors, or recent graduates.
UNH Emeriti Council Student International Service Initiative Grant (EC SISI) - This grant, initiated by S. Melvin Rines '47, supports opportunities for officially recognized student service organizations to bring their knowledge, enthusiasm and expertise to solve real world problems in disadvantaged areas of the world. Groups must have an advisor and raise on their own a portion of the funds needed for the project.
MOST UNH-APPROVED STUDY ABROAD PROVIDERS OFFER SCHOLARSHIPS. Be sure to CHECK THEIR ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS AND APPLICATION PROCESS.
More Scholarships and Fellowships for Undergraduate Study Abroad:
- Bridging Scholarships for Study Abroad in Japan - Association of Teachers of Japanese (ATJ)
- Foundation for Global Scholars
- Freeman-ASIA Awards for Study in Asia
- Fund for Education Abroad Scholarships
- Generation Study Abroad Excellence and Travel Awards - New Zealand
- Hispanic Study Abroad Scholars
- ItaliaRail Scholarship Program
- The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- The Humanity in Action Fellowship
- The Institute for International Public Policy Fellows Program
- Laura W. Bush Traveling Fellowship
- Rhodes Scholarship
- Rotary International Scholarship
- The Sara’s Wish Scholarship Fund
- South Korea Scholarship Program
- St. Andrew's Society Scholarship
- Swedish Women’s Educational Association International
- Taiwan-United States Sister Relations Alliance (TUSA) Summer Scholarship Program
- UK Fulbright Summer Institutes
Search Engines and Resources
Scholarship database search
The Smart Student Guide to Financial Aid
Scholarships, fellowships, grants, and paid internships for U.S. undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate students, and professionals
A guide of resources including financial aid publications, scholarship search engines, vocational rehabilitation and SSI information and international and local organizations offering scholarships, grants, and fellowships
Finding Ways to Finance Study Abroad
Financial Aid Resource Publications from the U.S. Department of Education
Study Abroad Financial Aid and Grants Website
Information and Scholarship for Multicultural Students
A list of scholarships, fellowships, articles, and funding ideas
Post-graduation Fellowships - Graduate students and exceptional undergraduate students planning for post-graduation study might also want to consider competing for one of the many post-baccalaureate fellowships to continue international academic work in the U.S. or abroad. It is never too early to contact the UNH Office of National Fellowships to prepare.
- About CIE
- Int'l Affairs Dual Major / Minor
- Why IA?
- What is a Dual Major?
- IA DUAL MAJOR: Policy, Curriculum & Requirements
- IA MINOR: Policy, Curriculum & Requirements
- Advising and Registration
- More International Opportunities & Career
- Work, Intern, Volunteer, Teach Abroad
- IA Profiles
- IA Faculty
- IA Alumni
- FAQs for IA Students
- IA Peer Mentors
- Study Abroad
- Getting Started
- Applied - Accepted
- While Abroad
- Returning to UNH
- Documents & Forms
- Study Abroad FAQs
- Faculty & Advisors
- Incoming International Exchange Students
- Outgoing International Exchange Students
- More International Opportunities & Career
- The World at UNH
- UNH Int'l Travel Policies & Resources
- International Travel Registry
- International Travel Assistance & Insurance Program
- Policy on International Travel Risk Review (ITRR)
- Developing UNH-Managed Study Abroad Programs
- International Agreements
- Risk Management Tools