FAQs for IA Students

Click for FAQs for Parents (International Affairs and Study Abroad)

IA Program FAQs
1. What primary majors are most consistently matched with IA?
2. I’m a political science major.  Can I take a political science course for one of my IA electives?
3. When can I go abroad?
4. What choices are there for the international experience requirement?
5. Can I go to English speaking countries?
6. I’ve taken 4 years of Spanish. What level do I start my language study at UNH?
7. Can I take my financial aid with me when I go abroad?
8. I received a ‘C-’ in my language course last semester.  Is this a problem?
9. My GPA went below 2.5.  How will this affect my IA status?
10. I can’t register for IA 401, 501 or 701 on Webcat.  What do I do now?
11. When will I take IA 701?
12. What is the Undergraduate Research Conference (URC)?

FAQs Specific to IA Minor

1. Who is my advisor for the IA minor?
2. How do you know you've completed the minor?
3. Why should I do the minor and not the dual major

Answers to IA Program FAQs
1. The IA dual major can be combined with any of the 100 + majors offered at UNH. Presently, the most popular majors are Political Science, Business Administration, and Spanish.  Growing in numbers are Communication, Civil Engineering, and Economics majors.

2. Courses used to satisfy IA elective requirements must be from departments outside the student’s primary major(s).  Exceptions can be requested for those students pursuing two majors in addition to IA, or for any student whose first major requires 14 or more courses.

3. See this link to the Study Abroad Eligibility requirements.  In addition, IA dual majors must have completed both IA 401 AND 501 before they can go abroad.

4. We recommend that students check the study abroad approved program list for some comprehensive choices. There are credit-bearing internship opportunities available through approved providers as well.  Students interested in Work/Intern/Volunteer/Teach programs abroad should look at these options. 

5. The International Affairs foreign experience ordinarily takes place in a country consistent with the student’s language study, but may also be conducted in a select list  of countries where English is an official language, or where UNH does not offer language training. Students who desire to study in one of these countries must petition the Center for International Education and Global Engagement. Plans of study must include rigorous local language training while in-country.

6. It is recommended that you take the on-line language placement test for French or Spanish.  If you wish to pursue a different language, please contact the relevant department.

7. UNH currently allows federal, state and institutional aid (except work study) to transfer for all UNH Managed, UNH Exchange or UNH Approved Programs abroad.  Students should call the Financial Aid office (tel. 862-3600) to learn how this applies to their individual aid package.  Check the UNH Financial Aid website for more information.

If students currently receive aid under the Post-9/11 GI Bill and are interested in studying abroad, contact UNH Veterans Affairs (128EA Stoke Hall or unh.veterans@unh.edu)

8. All IA course work must be completed with a grade of ‘C’ or better.  The student will need to repeat the course if s/he receives a C-.

9. We ask that all IA majors maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA.  Students will not be allowed to take IA 501 or 701 if their GPA is below 2.5.  They will be asked to meet the minimum standard before continuation in the program.

10. Registration for all IA core courses is done by CIEGE.  Contact international.affairs@unh.edu or call 862-2398.

11. IA 701 is the senior capstone course and is offered fall and spring each year.  The course involves significant research and a final presentation, typically at the Undergraduate Research Conference.  Most students take 701 in their final year after completing their international research experience.

12. The Undergraduate Research Conference is a celebration of academic excellence at the University of New Hampshire. Over 1,000 UNH undergraduate students, from all academic disciplines, will present at the 2013 URC. The presentations showcase the results of scholarly, engaged, and creative research in over 20 professional and artistic venues.

Back to top

Answers to FAQs Specific to IA Minor

1. There are two IA advisors, Catherine D’Auteuil and Professor Molly Wallace.  Students should check in with either advisor about the minor.  When planning the international experience, work directly with Catherine.

2. After regular check-ins with an IA advisor, starting as early as your sophomore year, make an appointment to have the Certification of Completion of a Minor form signed, meet with your major advisor for a signature, then take the form to your Dean’s office.

3. The minor was developed for those students who, due to the demands of their primary majors, are unable to complete the more rigorous requirements of the IA Dual Major.  Work with an IA advisor to see which option is the best fit for you.

Back to top