Safety Training Pays Off: Fire Extinguisher Training Testimonial

Wednesday, October 03, 2012

On June 29, the Office of Environmental Health and Safety sponsored live fire extinguisher training for the UNH community.  One of the 153 people who participated had to put that training into use at home:

“I wanted to let you know that I attended the fire extinguisher training at UNH on June 29. I went because I’d always wanted to know what it was like to use one, without having to use one. It sounded like fun. The training was well done and I appreciated the opportunity. You made it very easy to attend.  

Then last Friday, the wall socket behind my dryer burst into flames and I had to put out a fire. Everything worked exactly as it should have, and by the time the fire department arrived, they only needed to bring in fans to pull all of the smoke out of the house. Having had an opportunity to be trained meant I didn’t have to try to read instructions or worry I was going to do it wrong. Under no circumstances could I have read those instructions standing next to a wall of flames. Not a chance. If I hadn’t known where the extinguisher was, or if I hadn’t made sure it was up to date, I also would have been out of luck. I would have just grabbed the phone and dog and run.

So thanks. I appreciate that UNH offered this service and wanted you to know that at least one family of four and happy dog are still at home because of it.”

Says Brian Cournoyer, Occupational Health and Safety coordinator, “While no one wants to hear of anyone who experiences a loss as the result of a fire, we are thrilled that the training assisted in preventing one for one of our UNH community members.”

To view the training video visit http://www.unh.edu/research/environmental-health-and-safety.