New UNH International Travel Assistance and Insurance Program

New UNH International Travel Assistance and Insurance Program

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

On behalf of Lisa MacFarlane, Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs 

Dear Colleagues, 

The university’s strategic plan, The University of New Hampshire in 2020, envisions a more globally-engaged university with a greater emphasis on international opportunities and engagement. To achieve this in a world that is increasingly unpredictable, the President’s Panel on Internationalizing UNH called for providing our community with a comprehensive risk and emergency management program. I am pleased to announce the fulfillment of this first recommendation. 

Effective immediately, UNH is providing international travel assistance services, as well as sickness, accident and emergency evacuation insurance to all students, faculty and staff traveling abroad on University-related activities. I encourage you to visit the Center for International Education website to review the program and its benefits in detail. Below are some highlights: 

  • All UNH students, faculty, scholars, and staff engaged in UNH-related activities outside the United States are eligible for this plan and are automatically covered.
  • Emergency medical, security, legal, and personal services will be provided by International SOS, a premier international services provider.
  • International SOS provides free pre-trip travel, medical and security advice prior to departure through their online portal and toll free alarm center.
  • Emergency sickness and accident medical expenses are covered up to $1,000,000 through University Health Plans (UHP) with no deductible and no exclusions for pre-existing conditions.
  • UHP insures medical evacuations and repatriations and political/natural disaster evacuations organized by International SOS.
  • The insurance covers advanced payment to a hospital if needed to secure admission and provides reunion benefits for a family member or friend to visit a hospitalized UNH-traveler.
  • UNH travelers on university-related activities will be able to purchase the same coverage from UHP and International SOS for accompanying spouses and dependents, leisure travel that may coincide with UNH-related travel, and trip cancellation/trip interruption insurance.

UNH is in the process of developing an International Travel Registry to support this new travel assistance and insurance program, so we can better serve UNH community members while abroad. These programs, vital to our campus internationalization efforts, will be paid for centrally in this first year with cost recovery measures implemented in academic year 2013. 

If you have any questions about the insurance program, please contact Beth Kilinc at in the Center for International Education. Finally, I wish to express my gratitude for the tremendous work and efforts of the President’s Panel on Internationalizing UNH, and the subsequent International Insurance and International Travel Registry committees.