Policies & Procedures

Stone wall

Policies & Procedures

Communication to Students

University communications are sent to students through the following channels:

Webcat - Students receive billing statements, register, view grades, students accounts, and financial awards through Webcat, which is part of Blackboard/MyUNH.

University E-mail - Important notifications are sent by many departments and offices via the UNH e-mail address that is assigned by the University. Students are responsible for checking this e-mail account on a regular basis.

Blackboard/MyUNH - Course material and university announcements are available through this student portal system.

Campus Address - University mailings are sometimes sent to campus addresses. Most undergraduate students are automatically assigned a Granite Square Station mailbox at the MUB - please check the Granite Square Station Mailroom website for more information.

Mail to Permanent Address - Some notifications are sent in the student's name to the permanent mailing address.

University Policy on Electronic Communication

The University of New Hampshire often communicates with students on official matters in written form. The progression of technology has prompted the University to adapt both its administrative and educational communications to benefit from this technology. In those instances when the University chooses to communicate with students through technology (including but not limited to email, portal communications, and electronic messaging), it often does so with the use of University-generated UNH Username. The University will provide and maintain this UNH Username; it will be the responsibility of the student to monitor official communication sent by the University to this UNH Username on the UNH email system, as well as those posted to the UNH Portal (MyUNH/Blackboard) and accessible with this UNH username.

Withdrawal from the University or Change to Part-Time Status

Withdrawal - A withdrawal form must be filed with the Registrar's Office when a student withdraws from the University. The date the student officially notifies the Registrar's Office of the withdrawal is the official date used to determine any financial adjustments. Tuition and mandatory fees are reduced according to the withdrawal schedule below. Once financial adjustments have been made any overpayment will be refunded to the student. Refund processing will take approximately 45 days.

Withdrawal Dates Schedule 2016-2017

This schedule pertains to the main UNH academic calendar for Spring and Fall semesters. Students in special programs which use alternative calendars should consult their departments for withdrawal deadlines.

If withdrawal or change to part-time occurs: Date Tuition & Fees Credited
Fall 2016 Semester (begins August 29, 2016)
By 2nd Friday after semester begins By Sept. 9, 2016, 4:30 PM
After 2nd Friday and until 5th Friday after semester begins Sept. 10th thru Sept. 30th, 2016, 4:30 PM
After 30 days After Sept. 30, 2016
Spring 2017 Semester (begins January 24, 2017)
By 2nd Friday after semester begins By Feb. 3rd, 2017, 4:30 PM
After 2nd Friday and until 5th Friday after semester begins Feb. 4th thru Feb 24th, 2017, 4:30 PM
After 30 days After Feb. 24th, 2017


Please refer to the Checklist for Students Leaving UNH for steps students should take if not returning to UNH.

Any degree candidate who withdraws from the University and subsequently enrolls as a special (non-degree) student during the current semester or the next academic year will continue to be billed for tuition and fees at the same rate as degree candidates, using appropriate rates for resident/non-resident and undergraduate/graduate status.

Change to Part-Time Status - Students who drop from full-time to part-time status during the dates on the withdrawal schedule will be responsible for a portion of the full-time and mandatory fees in accordance with the withdrawal date schedule above.

Room & Board - Students should refer to the Room and Board agreement for the room and meals refund policy.

Federal Aid - If federal financial aid has been received, it will be returned to the lender in accordance with U.S. Department of Education regulations in effect at the time of withdrawal. Please note that the return of aid may create an unpaid balance owed to UNH. Specific details regarding federal regulations and an estimated calculation are available from UNH Business Services upon request. There is no return of federal aid once the student has completed over 60% of a semester.

Tuition Refund Plan Insurance is available to minimize the risk of financial loss in the event of medical withdrawal. This elective program provides full coverage for tuition, mandatory fees, required course fees, and room & board charges. Please visit the A.W.G. Dewar web site for further information.

Late Fees

Non-payment of billed balances can result in late fees and may result in students being disenrolled from classes. Late fees are based on the amount of the outstanding balance - 5% of the billed amount or $250 (whichever is lower). Any outstanding balance could cause a financial hold which prevents registration and the mailing of transcripts and diplomas.

Returned Check Policy

Checks that have been returned for nonpayment are assessed a $30 return check charge. A bank check, money order, or cash must be used to replace a returned check. If two or more checks are returned for non-sufficient funds, the University will be unable to accept future personal checks for that student account.

Refunds on Student Accounts

Students whose actual payments exceed their charges may request a refund from UNH Business Services after receipt and settlement of the tuition bill, and after any check payments have cleared (10 business days). Refunds may be requested online through the Webcat Services tab in Blackboard. Before a refund will be issued, all monthly payments must be received, loan notes and loan checks must be signed, and the student's account must be free of holds. Payments made by credit card will be refunded back to the credit card, not issued by check. It is the student's responsibility to initiate a refund request. Refunds are made in the student's name unless the credit is the result of a Parent PLUS loan. PLUS credits are refunded to the parent borrower. Please allow two weeks for processing of refund requests.

Federally regulated (Title IV) refunds will be automatically generated within the required timeframe if not previously requested by the student. The required timeframe is defined as 14 days after the credit balance occurs or 14 days after the first day of class if the credit balance occurs on or before the first day of class.

Note: Federal funds may not be disbursed to student accounts any earlier than 10 days before the start of classes.

UNH PLUS Loan Refund Policy

Parent Loans to Undergraduate Students (PLUS) are federal Title IV funds specifically designated to pay for undergraduate educational expenses. When PLUS Loan proceeds are disbursed, an email or letter is sent to the PLUS Loan borrower indicating the funds have arrived. The borrower has the option to cancel the loan within 30 days. If the loan is not cancelled the PLUS loan funds will be applied to federal Title IV charges. If any credit remains after these charges are paid, a calculation will determine which portion of the refund can be requested by the student and which portion will be available to the parent. If the parent PLUS borrower submits a request in writing or allows permission through the PLUS loan application, the full credit balance can be made available to the student. After this refund is requested by the PLUS Loan Coordinator, if future payments are received from sources other than another PLUS Loan, any overpayments resulting in a credit balance will be deemed to be from other sources and any new credit balance will be made available to the student.

What is a Title IV credit balance?

Total Title IV Allowable Charges MINUS Total Title IV Financial Aid = Title IV Balance

If the Title IV Balance calculated is negative, this is a Title IV Credit Balance.

Title IV Allowable Charges
Title IV Financial Aid
Pell Grant
Mandatory Fees
Course Fees
Perkins Loan
On-Campus Housing
Subsidized Stafford Loan
Meal Plans
Unsubsized Stafford Loan
Grad PLUS Loan


*You are viewing pages printed from http://www.unh.edu/
These pages appear differently when viewed online.

If you are the owner of this site and you would like to print the page as it appears online, please refer to the file "QuickStart.html" for instructions.